Principal Purpose of the Job:
As part of the Bank’s second line of defence, support and challenge the management of risks, in line with the Enterprise-Wide Risk
Management (“EWRM”) framework, and report material risk issues falling within Risk & ALM Department’s remit to the Head of Department and Senior Management to ensure that risks are managed within
the Bank’s risk appetite and regulatory requirements.
Day-to-day management of operational risk, working with the Manager currently responsible for this area to maintain the effectiveness of
the second line of defence and ensure that the operational risk profile is managed within risk appetite and meets internal as well as regulatory requirements.
Main Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
As a member of the Operational Risk Team, support the Operational Risk Manager to:
- Pro-actively challenge the first line, second line and other departments’ identification and management of operational
- Assist departments to identify and manage operational risk in their respective activities, escalating to Senior Management for
risk-acceptance when required.
- Develop and maintain effective operational risk management policies and standards.
- Maintain the operational risk incident management and reporting framework, including operational risk root cause investigation,
identification, assessment and countermeasures, and promotion of the risk-acceptance process.
- Lead and co-ordinate together with the Operational Risk Manager the Bank-wide Operational Risk Control Self-Assessment, and
maintain the Risk Register.
- Enhance and update key operational risk indicators and controls in line with the growth and development of the London
- Maintain and archive operational risk management documentation, including policies, procedures, action trackers, risk registers, KRIs,
- Promote and build a culture of operational risk awareness by providing regular training, developing strong, open and collaborative
relationships with key stakeholders, and by keeping up-to-date with current operational risk management theory and industry best practice.
Other responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Act as secretariat for the Risk & Compliance Committees (quarterly, Subsidiary and Branch), including collation of papers,
minute-taking and other administrative tasks.
- Lead and co-ordinate (together with the Operational Risk Manager) the annual inter-departmental Business Continuity Policy update,
including embedding of Operational Resilience measures in line with UK regulatory expectations.
- Lead and co-ordinate, together with the Operational Risk Manager, the outsourcing risk assessment, in line with the Business
Outsourcing Policy, and maintain the central log.
- Lead and co-ordinate, together with the Operational Risk Manager, the annual inter-departmental Critical Spreadsheet review
update, including control testing and reporting any key findings to Senior Management.
- Co-ordinate the monitoring and reporting of reputational risk incidents, in line with Reputational Risk Management Policy, and manage
the reputational risk framework, including annual Policy update.
- Assist the Head of Department and Operational Risk Manager in liaising with the Head Office Risk Department – EWR Division – in
enterprise-wide risk management.
- Other tasks as directed by the Head of Department.
- Good knowledge of and working experience in operational risk management and EWRM (at least 5 years in operational risk, preferably with
a reputable financial institution), including the ability to demonstrate and articulate risk skills and methodologies.
- Awareness of industry trends and best practices in risk management (particularly operational risk management but with a broad
understanding of other EWRM categories).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Tact, discretion, good judgement and common sense in dealing with sensitive and / or confidential situations.
- Strong project management skills or experience.
- Sound understanding of the relevant regulatory regimes and requirements governing the control and management of EWRM, particularly
operational risk management.
- Ability to deliver accurate and comprehensive risk reports, and to propose constructive, forward-looking and proportionate solutions
- Good team working skills and ability to engage with stakeholders at all levels of the Bank as well as externally.
- Good IT skills, particularly Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint, plus familiarity with the Bank’s in-house systems where
- General awareness of reputational risk management, particularly the risk drivers relevant to the London Branch.
Our client is an equal opportunities employer, and ensures that no applicant is subject to less favourable treatment on the grounds of
gender, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, age, sexual orientation, responsibilities for dependants, physical or mental disability. Candidates are selected for
interview based on their skills, qualifications and experience.
Please note that we can only consider candidates who are eligible to work in the UK and are able to provide relevant supporting
For further information, please contact:
Enrico Castagnetti, Wintermann Search & Selection Limited